Sunday, June 27, 2010

Panchamda: You make my life

Today is RD Burman’s 71st birth anniversary. The most important thing I can do today is writing about Panchamda.

RDB’s got his first break as a music director in Mehmood's Chhote Nawab (1961). The first song Ghar aaja ghir aaye to be recorded for the movie was sung by Lata Ji because RD wanted no one but the legendary singer to sing his first composition for movies. Mehmood gave him his second movie as a music director in 1965 - Bhoot Bangla. The soundtrack is notable for ‘Aao twist karein’, a Desi version of Chubby Checker's ‘let’s twist’. This is one reason why the whole world needs to be indebted to Mehmood.

RDB’s music had a certain free flowing quality about it. Like a clear stream of water frolicking forth, meandering, twisting, turning...all with such grace and supple rhythm, forever evolving, spreading freshness and life. He was the greatest. There can be no one like him.

Panchamda.. You are my god. Life is a better place just because of you. I really have no idea how my life would be without you. You are always with me.

Thank you for everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment