Thursday, February 11, 2010

Symbiosis: The new marketing mantra


“Travel around the world with Thomas cook like the way I do in my movie - My name is Khan” SRK seems to be urging us at least 10 times each day for the last few days. Thomas cook announces that it’s celebrating the release of the movie “My name is Khan”.

Now would I miss an option to travel round the world? I don’t think so.. I am not a travel buff but I would surely love to go see all those places which I have been seeing in movies. The only point I am not clear is if Thomas cook is funding my travel or SRK’s Karan Johar. Karan Johar appears to be a very generous person, I am hoping for him to sponsor my travel. I promise to have coffee with Karan any time.

We can also follow the story of MNIK on Airtel. At an age where all mobile networks are on the price reducing bandwagon, airtel is stubbornly playing hard. I am sure the story of MNIK would come at a price. I would rather wait for Saturday morning, when newspapers & websites would tell me not only the story but strengths & weaknesses of the movie. I would be advised free of cost on whether I should spend my hard earned money on a over priced multiplex or wait for a pirated DVD.

Dish TV is also celebrating the release of SRK’s movie. It would have been good if they could focus more on improving their clarity and customer satisfaction rather than celebrating MNIK & bill the cost to customers.

Samsonite is also celebrating the release of MNIK. Their suitcases do come at a celebrity price tag. I would not be left with any money to celebrate if I buy their suitcases.

I have tried to list as many as I could. But there may be many others who are “celebrating” the release of SRKs movie. I am wondering if the brands are using MNIK as an opportunity to endorse their product or if SRK is using the brands to endorse his movie. I think they are using each other.. Isn’t this the perfect example for “symbiosis”.

Over the last few days, all news channels are capturing the SRK- Sena feud. Sena is going all out against SRK using the “manoos” mantra. I don’t know the link between Pakistan cricketers and “manoos” criteria. SRK being the shrewd businessman is using this as a great opportunity to bag all possible attention of the media to push his movie. At this stage both need each other for a purpose. Another typical example of a symbiotic relationship.

I wonder if there is any sane individual who is not aware that SRK movie is in the pipeline. This is the genius of the man fondly called the “Badshah” of Bollywood.

Last 2 weeks has been SRK all the way on TV, so much that I am not left with a wee bit of patience to spend money & watch him for another 3 hours.

I spare myself the side effects of over dosage.

No comments:

Post a Comment